Sailing | PHRF Class
PHRF or Performance Handicap Racing Fleet is a class of racing for yachts that are not considered One-Design. The MYC has a strong, competitive class of PHRF boats, finishing 2nd overall in club results.
Over the past 7 years MYC skippers have been competitive in the ECSA (Eastern Connecticut Sailing Association) offshore circuit.
- 2017 – Overall & Division 6 (Sport boat)
- 1st Place | Milford Sailing (Melges 32), skipper Bruce Kuryla
- 2017 – Division 6 (Sport boat)
- 3rd Place | Evil Monkey (Melges 24) , skipper Tom Treat
- 2016 – Division 6 (Sport boat), 1st Place
- Evil Monkey, skipper Tom Treat
- 2015, 2014 (tie), 2013, 2012 & 2009 – Overall
- Secret (Nelson Marek 42), skipper Bruce Kuryla
- 2010 – Overall
- Evil Monkey (Melges 24), skipper Tom Treat
MYC PHRF Regatta Schedule:
- MYC Invitational, Race for the Boardman Cup, August 4th, 2018
- MYC Last Chance Regatta, September 23rd, 2018
- MYC Columbus Day Regatta, October 7th, 2018
Congratulations to MYC’s own, Bruce Kuryla and crew for winning US Sailings Offshore Championship (Lloyd Phoenix Cup) this past September (2015) in Annapolis, MD. The win for skipper Kuryla and his crew marks the third U.S. Offshore Championship, including three of the last four (2015, 2011, 2009). His highly skilled crew featured Blake Marriner, William Tyler, Thomas Jankun, Rod Swift, Phillip Williamson, and Bruce S. Kuryla. His crew has been consistent at this event for all three his championships.
See more at . . .
- US Sailing: http://www.ussailing.org/offshorechamps15final/
- Scuttlebutt: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/09/27/bruce-kuryla-defends-u-s-offshore-sailing-championship-title/
Earlier in the season, Defiant (NY40), skippered by John Streicher won the Sperry Charleston Race Week. Although, with all the accolades, PHRF racing sounds intimidating, but these skippers as well as a fleet of excellent sailors compete across many of our local & distant regattas and are always looking for crew and opportunities to share their wisdom.