One Design (OD) sailing is a critical and fundamental part of our sport. In late October 2019, US Sailing put together a survey for One Design class associations and sailors to see how we can better serve this important constituency. The survey was sent via email, as a link placed on our website and through other USSA Social media channels. The survey was sent to our US Sailing members, class associations and organizations, and made available to any constituent that noted One-Design sailing in their profile.
Some interesting observations:
- Answers are based on respondents’ perception of or actual experience with US Sailing.
- 623 unique comments were received from survey respondents and grouped into “Response Types” for sorting
- When reviewing data, please note that “OTHER” Comments are as equally important as those called out in a
specific area, like Insurance, Administration, etc.
- The majority of respondents are currently or have been members of US Sailing for more than 5 years, and many sail in multiple One-Design classes
- About 1/5 of the OD respondents serve(d) as an officer of their primary OD class; 80% were owner/drivers of
their primary OD class; and more than 60% were members of their primary OD class association.
- Respondents to the survey were most highly concentrated on the East and West coasts, followed by the MidWest and Texas – though we did have representation from 42 states, plus Puerto Rico and Canada.
- Most respondents were male.